Common Core Linky Party


Marlana at Lil' Country Kindergarten is having a Common Core Linky Party. Click on the picture above to go to her post and linky party.

For my teammates and myself, during the past school year, we have had a challenging time of starting the kindergarten common core with little direction and support. For everyone else, last year's focus seemed to be on Marzano's teacher evaluation system. Well, since 1st grade will be starting common core this school year, there is some direction and support. Around spring break, our administration bought our team this book:

Now our county is buying a copy for each school. This book has kindergarten set up in 6 units. These units are: Colorful Rhythm & Rhyme, Sequencing Stories 1, 2, 3, Exploring the Neighborhood, America: Symbols & Celebrations, The Great Big World, and Wonders of Nature: Living Things. It is somewhat broad, and gives flexibility. Most units do coincide with what we are doing already. For example, we usually start our school year with Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and Nursery Rhymes. These are all mentioned in the first unit. The newness is the terminology for us to learn. For example, my students and I interacted with poetry, but I did not discuss "stanza" with them.

I also received a curriculum map from my county this summer, and it does follow this particular book's kindergarten units. I am not sure if I am allowed to post my county's curriculum map, as it is not on our county website. However, I am working on a more specific one for my school year. The format was from a first grade teacher who blogs, but I do not remember her name. If you happen to know, please let me know so I can give her credit. You may notice that I highlighted 2 added skills to the writing part, as they are other skills I would like to focus on at the beginning of the year. I am still in the process of working on the rest of my school year. Please know that this is just my compilation of resources given to me through my county. Click here for direct link to Google document.




One great site I discovered online is Utah's Jordan School District. Looking at the kindergarten section, I see that the 6 units are the same as the Common Core Curriculum Maps book above. This site has an abundance of resources.

Happy common core planning!

No comments

Back to Top