Chicken in a Cup

I am linking up today for Collaboration Cuties Science Mentor text. One of my kindergarten science skills is to have my students observe how things move (vibrate) to make sound. Sounds All Around is a great text to introduce how sounds are made. While reading the text, we gently touch our necks to feel our voice box as we talk. Afterwards I have my students pluck rubber bands to see the vibrations as a sound is made. I also have 8 mini plastic water bottles- 2 filled with rice, 2 filled with beans, 2 filled with salt, and 2 filled with oatmeal. These bottles were not filled all the way- just 1/4 of the way. I covered them with socks. My students then had to try and match the ones that sounded the same and guessed what could be inside them. This one doesn't show the vibrations, but they love trying to match the sounds and guess what could be inside each one.
 
Source: Amazon


Click here to join in Collaboration Cuties Science Mentor text or read others who have linked up.
 
I recently looked up for some sound activities on Pinterest. I came across one called a Chicken in the Cup. I have not done this, but now I so want to do this with my littles! I highly recommend you watch this Chicken in the Cup video. All you need for each child is a plastic cup, paper clip, string, and a wet paper towel... did you click to see the video? I think elementary students would have fun making noise with this one!
 
Amanda and Stacia are having a wonderful giveaway at their blog. If you love clipart, you should check it out!
 
 
 


4 comments

  1. This is a great book! I used it when I taught first grade... way back in the day. :-P Have a great Sunday!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks super cute. I am going to have to pass its information onto our Kindergarten teacher. This is totally up her alley.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! We teach sound in 4th so I will have to check out the activities on Pinterest you are talking about!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cracked up when I read your title! I knew exactly what it was! Students love making those. I had my students make one when we were studying sound. Then, during our market day unit, a group of my students sold them! They went like hot cakes! (The other teachers were not too thrilled with me - due to noise factor!) Oops!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top