Sunday, July 14, 2013

Elevator Magic Math Mentor Text

I am not sure if this particular book has been introduced through the Math Mentor text linky yet. I know that Stuart J. Murphy has written many books that teachers love to incorporate into their math lessons. This one is called Elevator Magic. It is about a little boy who uses real world math to figure out which button he needs to push to go down to a certain floor. He has a vivid imagination. He sees farm animals at the bank, cars and trucks at the delivery place, and a rock band at the candy store.
 
 
 
I use this book to show vertical subtraction and addition problems to my students. I saw that Sharing Kindergarten wrote about using number lines today! I saw a great idea there to make a number line using a pipe cleaner, bead, and vertical  number line. I created one quickly to use. I plan to print on cardstock, punch holes, and use string and a bead instead. Following are some numbers to use to make a small floor number line and a math writing page for a classbook. Just click on the below picture to get it free from Google Docs.
 

 
 
 
I found that I have 2 copies of this book. I have been downsizing my books... to make room for new titles of course! If you would like a chance to win a gently used copy of Elevator Magic, please leave a comment and an email address. I'll pick a winner tomorrow. Otherwise, you could get it at a bookstore or online somewhere.
 
Source: Amazon
Join Stacia and Amanda for their weekly mentor text on Sundays. It's math today! Click below to visit them, and to read other mentor texts.
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Looks like a great one! I think Courtney has his whole collection--so I must investigate!

    Thanks so much for sharing--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cuuuute! I love reading your posts!!

    I love the Stuart J Murphy books for math- so much!

    I probably don't need that book for 4th so I won't enter the drawing...even thought this activity is so cute and makes total sense!

    :0) Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely loved this entire series for my 2nd graders. Sad I can't really use them now with my grade change. I am your newest follower :) Come stop by if you get a chance - I'd love to hear from you!

    Lauren
    The Sweetest Thing
    Follow me on Bloglovin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that series of books. Thanks for sharing a great way to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks great. Thanks so much for the activities to go with it. I'm pinning right now.
    Have a great week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. شركة تنظيف الكنب بالرياض
    افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
    شركة تنظيف المنازل
    افضل شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بجازان
    افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بابها
    شركة مكافحة الحشرات بمكة
    افضل شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
    شركات رش مبيدات بجدة
    يبدء الفريق بتنظيف الواجهات بعناية فائقة وجيدة وبعد الانتهاء من عملية التنظيف وتفحص العميل للعمل يقوم الفريق باعطاء العميل شهادة ضمان وايضا تقدم الشركة متابعة دورية
    وهنا يا عزيزى العميل قد وصلنا لنهاية موضوعنا عن شركة تنظيف الواجهات بالدمام, وهذا بعد ان قمت بتوضيح كل شى عن الشركة ولو اردت الاستفسار عن اى شى او حل اى مشكلة تواجهك بالنسبة لتنظيف واجهات زجاج وحجر بالدمام يجب عليك التواصل مع شركة وادى الرياض على الرقم الموحد فى الدمام
    كلمات تسهل عليك البحث عن الشركة على الانترنت
    شركات مكافحة الحشرات بجازان

    ReplyDelete