Reading Mentor Text Linky

Click above to see other Reading Mentor Texts.
 
 
 
I'm joining Collaboration Cuties with their Reading Mentor Text Linky. I choose 2 books this time. Both are used at the beginning of the year when I am introducing Daily 5's IPICK. I share these books with my students to explore our interests and how it relates to reading.
 

 
 Anthony Browne's simple text is patterned and predictable. My kinderkids and firsties easily relate to it. While reading it, I have my students stand up if they also like the same thing (examples: funny, scary, dinosaurs, pirates, etc.). At the end, my students talk to their shoulder partners about what interests they have. Last, each child works on his own page for a classbook of what we like to read.
 

 
Todd Parr's books are bright and colorful which are appealing to young children. I have used this book to further discuss how reading makes us feel good, relating it to their interests. This book is also a great book as a lead in to a classbook. When making classbooks, I like to include a title page using my students' self portraits. This idea came from my friend Amy. This also came in handy when I wrote thank you letters for my Donor Choose project.
 
 
Click below to download my Reading Interest classbook freebie.




 
 In case you haven't heard, I am having a giveaway. Hoots N Hollers is too!
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments

  1. Oh my word- I LOVE everything about this post! These books are right up my alley since I teach struggling readers. I spend so much time on using read aloud books to just build their confidence and help them understand that reading is so great and these two are definitely going to be added to my list of books that I need. Your freebie is so cute and will be so great for my little friends to make in the fall. That title page idea with their little self portraits could not be cuter! Thanks so much for the great ideas!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post! I love the title page with the students' self portraits!! Adorable:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Anthony Browne, but I have never seen this one--must get a hold of it! Thanks for linking to our giveaway! I will add a link to yours in my very next post... :0)

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, these books look so fun! And I super love that they did a self-portrait around the paper! That's a great idea! I'm totally stealing that! Thanks for linking up!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great for the beginning of the year when teaching I PICK! I also entered the giveaway :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top